First and foremost a big Happy Birthday to my sister Jennifer and our Aunts Jean and Jane. All three of them were born on Friday, September the 13th (Jean and Jane are twins born…just a few…years before my sister). As you might expect, they are not very superstitious people.
Since today is Friday the 13th this week’s Friday Five are a little more on the superstitious side! These are five (probably) random, (rarely) newsworthy and on (nearly every) occasion strange or unique. I hope there’s at least one thing on the list you haven’t already heard about so you have something to talk about at that ferret show this weekend.
And off we go…
1. A lot of people consider Friday the 13th to be unlucky, but is it really? There have been a number of studies done. You might not be surprised by the statistical results.
2. If that’s not enough for you, there a bunch of things you can do on Friday the 13th to bring you even more bad luck.
3. There are a lot more superstitions out there that have nothing to do with the date. There’s probably at least one of these wedding superstitions you haven’t heard of – like it’s good luck for the bride to find a spider on her wedding dress. I’m not so sure about that one, with the screaming and jumping and swearing I’d be doing as I tore the dress off it wouldn’t seem like good luck!
4. If you’re the kind of person that hasn’t met a black cat whose path you won’t cross or a ladder you won’t walk under, then this might be the website for you! It has superstitions from around the world to help you tempt the fates and change your luck.
5. Maybe all this talk about superstitions and bad luck has you a little nervous. Well have no fear, I’m looking out for you! Here are good luck charms and symbols from around the world. Pick as many as you think you’re going to need for today and have a great weekend!
If you see something that you think belongs on my Friday Five list, or if you’d like to do a guest version of the Friday Five, send me a note here. I’d love to hear from you!
- Friday the 13th Myths (bet.com)
- Bad-Luck Busters: Friday the 13th With an Anti-Superstition Society (life.time.com)
- Superstitions From the Theater World (thestarryeye.typepad.com)