Next week is the 127th Anniversary of the Great Johnstown Flood. On May 31st, 1889 an incredible storm lead to the failure of the South Fork Dam, and the flooding of the valley below. The flood killed more than 2,200 people and destroyed the town. I’ll write a little more about the flood, the town and the triumph of the human spirit next week. Today I’m posting a picture taken earlier this year at sunset just after it snowed. The picture was taken from the top of the World’s Steepest Vehicular Inclined Plane in the Westmont section of Johnstown.
Tell Me a Story Tuesday – Pic Prompt EditionStandard
Since last week‘s success (Yeah, that’s right…someone finally contributed! Thanks Worninshoes!!) I thought I would try something else that’s a little different. In the past I’ve asked you to tell me a story with a picture. Well I’m turning that on it’s head and asking you to tell me a story about this picture:
Several things came to mind when we saw how cool it turned out. We started making up stories with the kids about what this could be (if we didn’t know it was a tunnel under the water). What about you?
Tell me a story about what you think this is. Where are we going? Is this a tunnel towards Norfolk or is this a jump to lightspeed? What awaits us on the other side?
You know the rules. Now, tell me a story!
A Tell Your Story Tuesday Worth Waiting For!Standard
Thanks for hanging around for Tell Your Story Tuesday, on Wednesday!
A picture is worth a thousand words, or so they say. Since we seem to have a lot of folks who are too shy to share words around here I thought I would give you a different challenge this week. Tell a story with a picture. If you’re anything like me you’ve got a couple of pictures that tells the story of a trip, a place, a person or an event. As a matter of fact, here’s one of mine!
Now, I can’t claim to have thought this up all on my own. I found a website called Cowbird earlier this week. They encourage people to tell a story starting with an image. They’re kind of like a diary using pictures to help tell a story. I thought why not take a cue from them and see if we can’t get some people to tell us a story using a picture.
The regular Tuesday Rules remain:
The Ground Rules:
- Be nice! Constructive criticism is fine, but this is strictly a “No Troll Zone“
- Keep it clean! This site is for folks of all ages, anything not suitable for a PG audience will be removed (sorry, but my kids can read this blog and my 6 year old is a great reader – there are just some things I don’t need her sounding out!).
- Keep it fairly short! This isn’t the place to write the next great novel. Let’s see how short stories go before we move into long form writing.
- Nothing Copyrighted Please! Please make sure that you’re telling your own story and not someone else’s.
- No bashing other people/companies/political parties/ethnic groups/sexual orientation/career choices/physical appearance or ability/musical tastes! Again, this is a “Troll Free Zone” – leave the mean and nasty at the door. It’s one thing to have a funny encounter in a strange situation or a strange encounter in a funny situation. Using your story to insult others is another thing all together.
- I reserve the right! This is my blog and my face to the Internets, I reserve the right to change the rules, or remove content that break the rules. Sorry folks, but I’m sure that if you can find someone willing to let you post a story about a liberal Republican that walks with a limp and listens to Yani while sheep herding and why you hate them. I am not that someone, and this is not the place.
Look through your phone, check your folders and find a picture worth a thousand words!
Tell Me a Story Tuesday CRASH!Standard
I finished this week’s storytelling challenge, only to have it eaten by WordPress and my phone. I’m going to try starting over from my laptop tomorrow. Since I need a little extra time for the post, I thought I would give you a little extra time getting ready.
A picture can speak a thousand words, so let an image tell your story. I’m looking for a photo that needs no explanation (or at least very few). Start going through your pictures now so you’re ready when I get the post up.
I can’t wait to see what you’re saying!