This week has been full of Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff. For those not familiar, Saturday, November 23, 2013 marks the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who, the British sci-fi show that has made history. Or at least tried to rewrite it. I am not ashamed to admit that I have become very addicted to the show thanks to several family members.
In honor of this television milestone this week’s (probably) random, (rarely) newsworthy and on (nearly every) occasion strange or unique stories are Doctor Who related. Who knows, maybe you’ll find something interesting to discus during your next ride on the TARDIS.
- Help build the TARDIS! The folks behind Doctor Who have been working over time making sure that social media has been whipped into a frenzy. This is one of the coolest. They’ve had fans using #SaveTheDay on Facebook Twitter and Instagram and then with the magic of the Time Vortex those posts and tweets are used to create a TARDIS made of points lights. For their efforts fans get sneak peaks at the anniversary special – about 10 seconds at a time, but we’ll take what we can get!
- Timey Wimey Infographic Infographics are all the rage, but this is the Timey Wimiest of all! This shows all the travels through time by all the doctors.
- YouTube Specials The BBC America YouTube Channel has been pumping out all kinds of special videos and hints about the 50th Anniversary Special. There are events all weekend in the UK and they’ll be adding videos. I’ve also heard that there will be some live things going on just before the world simulcast, so keep an eye out!
- A World What? A World Simulcast of The Day of the Doctor! In an unheard of move for what’s suppose to be a kid’s television show, the 50th anniversary special is going to be simulcasted around the world. It starts at 7:50 PM in the UK. On the East coast it hits the air wave as 2:50 PM…you get the idea. I think it’s kind of a cool idea that million of fans will get to watch it at the same time! I also love the idea that I don’t have to stay off-line for hours between when it first airs in the UK and when it airs in the US.
- 3D! That’s right the 50th Anniversary Special is in 3D and to give as many people as possible people as the opportunity to see it there will be special showing in theaters all over the place. Folks in the US can find the nearest theater here. I’m kind of bummed that I won’t be able to get to one, but if you do come back and let me know how it was!
There are tons going on this weekend. If you’re a fan of the The Doctor you have a lot to entertain you. If you aren’t familiar there are specials and marathons running all weekend to get you hooked. Check out a little bit of history and watch a show that is sure to be one of the highest rated around the world and ruling Twitter.
If you have any ideas or if you’d like to Guest Write The List, I would love to hear from you! Send me a note here and we’ll get you on the blog!
Have a great weekend everyone! If a guy in a bluer than blue box that is ancient and new and bigger on the inside asks where you’d like to go in all of time and space, go. Don’t walk, RUN!
- Saving the World, One Cape at a Time (redtri.com)
- ‘Batkid’ fighting cancer captures hearts, saves San Francisco (darkroom.baltimoresun.com)
- Get your TARDIS to the nearest cinema for Doctor Who anniversary special (glasgow.stv.tv)
- Catch up on 50 years of ‘Doctor Who’ with one stunning infographic (dailydot.com)
One thought on “Lorie’s List for 11/22/2013”